Port Stephens Sand Dunes Sandboarding & Sand Surfing
“Sandboarding” means sitting down on the board, “Sand Surfing” means standing up.
Join us for an epic Port Stephens adventure on the largest moving sand dunes in the Southern Hemisphere! Our Sandboarding Adventure will take you across the magnificent sand dunes in one of our custom 4WDs to our private Sandboarding area, right in the heart of the dunes! Here we provide a shaded picnic area with tables and chairs, so feel free to bring your food and drinks. Sandboarding is suitable for all ages and abilities. Toddlers and young children can ride on a board with an adult or tackle the slopes themselves once they are confident. Non-boarders (spectators) can also join the fun, the 4WD trip over the dunes is part of the adventure. You can feel like you are in a whole different world out there!
How does the Sandboarding Safari work?
1. Firstly, choose a date & session time, then purchase your tickets via the “Book Now” Button below. If you are worried about weather or not sure about a session time, please text us on 0425 213 096 and we can arrange to accommodate you when you arrive.
2. Meet us at the departure point in Anna Bay, outlined below. Bring some bottled water, a warm jacket in winter, sunscreen, sunglasses and your camera/phone. We have a place to put your belongings at the sandboarding location. No special shoes required as it is done barefoot.
3. Hop onto one of our 4WD vehicles for your 10 minute trip over the dunes to begin your adventure. We value the customer experience and therefore have vehicles running every 10-15 minutes to minimise your wait time, so don’t worry if you are running a little late!
4. Once you arrive at our sandboarding location, one of our friendly instructors will meet you and instruct you in the safe method of sandboarding for both the sit down and stand up types. Our dune starts out with small slopes and continues on to the monster slope! You can choose the size of the hill based on your confidence level.
5. Its entirely up to you how long you spend on the dunes. It’s unlimited, so stay and play as long as you like! Most people spend 1-2 hours. There is plenty of shade, grab a chair and enjoy the spectacular scenery. Take as many photos as you like!
6. When you are ready to leave, just let one of our instructors know and we will send a vehicle up to bring you back to the car park.
SIT AND SLIDE OR STAND AND SURF.. IT’S YOUR CHOICE!
We use our hand made sand boards for all types of sandboarding including the stand up style. In addition, we also have sandboards with bindings, for those who are accustomed to surfing and snowboarding. Most of all, it’s entirely up to you whether you sit or stand. You can even ride tandem!
4WD Bus departs 9.30am during summer and 10am in winter, and every 15-20 minutes after that for the rest of the day. It works like a shuttle service, stay and play as long as you like! When you are ready to go back to the meeting point, just hop on the next bus.
For the safety of our staff and customers, we may close our operations if we consider the weather to be unsafe.
The main weather safety hazard on the dunes is extreme heat. Since our sand is very reflective due to its high silica content, on a hot day temperatures can be amplified to well over 50 degrees centigrade. Due to these extreme temperatures, we will generally open earlier in the morning on a hot day and close around midday or whenever it becomes too hot. We will also close during extremely windy conditions, torrential rain and electrical storms.
The most ideal conditions for sand boarding are cool days, after rain or during light showers. Wet sand is ideal for sliding on due to the fact it is nice and smooth so you go faster!
Finally, we take our duty of care to our staff and customers very seriously. We also want you to thoroughly enjoy your experience on the dunes. If you are unsure whether conditions are suitable please feel free to call or text as actual weather conditions can vary significantly from forecast!
WEEKENDS AND SCHOOL HOLIDAYS
*PLEASE SEE COVID-19 PAGE FOR UP TO DATE SESSION INFORMATION
First session 9.30am summer, 10am Winter.
Last Shuttle to Dunes 4.30pm Summer,
(Please check last shuttle times as they may vary according to weather conditions and holiday periods)
Lower car Park End Of James Paterson St
Anna Bay. Look for the army camo caravan and bus.
WEEK DAYS (OUTSIDE OF SCHOOL HOLIDAYS) ALSO AVAILABLE BY APPOINTMENT.
Cost Per Session (Stay as long as you like):
Child: 4-17 $30
Infant: 0-3 FREE